Wednesday 29 January 2014

Reading Resolution


READING RESOLUTION


Hi Internet!

Going into 2014, I felt as if I needed to improve myself. How? I didn't know how to answer that question a couple of weeks ago.

Now, I think I realize it's about avoiding free time, free time allowing my mind to wander into a negative place. I have tried to limit my wandering mind through reading, and having started with a good book, my experience is so far positive.

I thought I would share these books; if anyone's going through a moment of doubt with how to use their time to a more beneficial cause, this could be one way to do it! (and a good excuse to huddle under a blanket with hot chocolate...)



The first book I picked up was Divergent by Veronica Roth. I had heard about the movie coming out ( April 4th) and wanted to get my hands on the book before I start imagining the actors instead of the character descriptions! Though I'm only a fifth of the way through, I think this is far enough to determine how much I like the book. The first couple of chapters definitely set the scene, and as the reader, we are made to understand the situation the protagonist. 

I have a friend who really doesn't like this book series, but she read it to the end to find out what happens to the characters. Unsure what all the hype was about if she didn't enjoy it, I figured I would like the make my own opinion of it. I like easy reading, books that get me hooked quick. This is definitely one of them.

(And it was on buy one get one half price in WHSmiths!)




The second book I bought was the first in the Game of Thrones series, by George R.R. Martin. Both this book and Divergent were on the buy-one-get-one-half-price offer, and thought I'd give it a try. I've been captured by the TV Series, and am highly anticipating the new season in April! I thought this book might help subside my excitement, but it wasn't until I got it home when I realized how long the book is (and how TINY the text is too) ... it might take me a while to get through this one.



Now a really easy read, Lauren Conrad's Sugar & Spice, the third in her 5-part L.A. Candy series. I bought the other two preceding books around the time when they first came out 5 years ago, however I put off buying this because it was originally £13, and though I'm sure this wasn't the price on Amazon, I could never justify it. However, after seeing this in Poundland (it will be featured in my Poundland Haul with lots of other good finds), I snapped it up.

I feel like the age it's aimed at is probably similar to The Hills TV Series, although the style of writing is very basic. Therefore nearing 20 years old, I feel like I will grow out of the series soon, and want to read it before I become disinterested.


I'm no avid reader, but I thought buying some books might get me excited about reading again. Also when the covers are nice, they act as decoration on my bed-side table, which is an added bonus. Hopefully it won't take me too long to read all of these books, but I'm sure I will enjoy them. I started on a positive note, making me even more enthusiastic to accomplish this goal.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment