Thursday 3 July 2014

E is for Empties!

Hi internet!

You know when you have one of those moments when everything seems to be running out at the same time? Well that just happened! 

I love using things up so I can discover something new, and seeing as I don't get through makeup very quickly, this is a very exciting concept. Everything I've used up has fallen into 4 categories: base, eyes, hair and staying fresh! So stick around if you want to read about what I thought of these products!

Starting with the base...

Garnier Miracle Skin Protector B.B. Cream
I bought this when the B.B. Cream craze started a year or two ago, and finally(!!!) squeezed the last out of this tube. My first impressions on B.B. Creams initially was that they'd act like a tinted moisturiser and do something good for my skin. I'm not sure if this one did exactly that, even if it did claim to be an 8 in 1 miricle cream. Once applied, it left my skin with a dewy finish, which got shiny very quickly. It also didn't help that even though the shade was in 'light', it made me look orange! 
I'm sure the whole concept of B.B. creams has grown a lot since their craze began, C.C. creams taking over the make-up stands. What's next, D.D. creams?? But in all seriousness, I would be interested to try a more recent release of one to see how they've changed.  

Maybelline Fit Me Foundation (Sample Size)
I don't get the chance to try many foundations, seeing as I like to stick to one and use it up before buying another one, but since this one was sample size, I could enjoy something different without having to neglect my other makeup. This foundation blended nicely, stayed on the skin, and the slightly tan colour has been good for transitioning from spring to summer. The finish isn't dewy or isn't matte, but a perfect mix of both, much like natural skin. 
I'm really glad I got to use this product, and would buy the full size if it wasn't for already owning another foundation which is in line to be used next.

(Tip for getting free samples, check out brands' facebook pages. Usually you have to like the page before you can apply for the samples, but it's all really simple to do!)

To make the eyes pop...


Maybelline Mega Plush Volum' Express Mascara
I bought this mascara instead of buying the Rocket, partly because I didn't want to join the Rocket band-waggon. To be honest, I do regret not buying the Rocket then, because this wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be. I think it was the colour of the packaging that persuaded me, and that intriguing brush. It started out to be a good mascara, the brush was doing its job, but there was a point where it stopped doing its job. I thought initially that it was the brush, because the fibres on the brush are very thin, and maybe they weren't coating the lashes. Then I noticed it was becoming quite clumpy and not holding a curl. The verdict - it had dried up! I bought this just before Christmas, so lasted 6 months, which I know is how often you're meant to change mascara, but lets face it, not many people have a budget to do that and have a couple open at once!

Would I recommend? No. But I did try the Rocket for the first time today and am very impressed, so Maybelline hasn't lost its touch!

Model Co. Fibre Lashxtend Mascara
You know what they say about big mascara wands, lots of volume. This mascara had a really thin wand, and couldn't do length, let alone volume. I got this mascara free with Company magazine in March, and wasn't very impressed with it from the get-go, so saved it for when I was working down the pub and didn't need the complete makeup look. 
Then came the time when I was sorting through my mascaras, and it had to be binned! I got some use out of it, but considering it was free with a magazine, I wasn't too bothered. 


Soap & Glory Thick & Fast Super Volume Mascara 
Keeping it short and sweet - I loved this mascara! After having it for a year and a half though it wasn't doing its job anymore! To see a full review, with some amazing pictures of it in action, click here! 

For the hair...


Tresemme Instant Refresh Volumising Dry Shampoo
This did exactly what it said on the tin. I've tried the Batiste Dry Shampoo and found it wasn't absorbing the grease from my hair, so then tried a superdrug coloured one and found it the same. When I got to the point where I thought maybe dry shampoos weren't for me, I was watching Miss Glamorazzi on Youtube and she mentioned this one. Though she's also recommended the Batiste one, I was really willing to try a new one considering I was going into hospital and wanted to keep myself presentable.

I would definitely recommend this, not only as a dry shampoo but for its volumizing qualities as well. It doesn't keep hold like a hairspray would, but gives hair a bit of a lift, like freshly washed hair but with a bit more texture. 


Schwarzkopf Got2b Guardian Angel Heat Protectant
Though I've stopped using heat on my hair so much now, I wanted to try another heat protectant other than the Tresemme one. This one was good, but I found that if I put it in my hair, then decided I didn't want to blow-dry it, it left a weird texture to my hair. Also, I didn't think it applied to dry hair very well before straightening, but then it's not meant to be sprayed onto dry hair in the first place!

For staying fresh...


Nivea Energy Fresh 48h Deodorant
I tried this because it was a pound in Poundland (featured in my Poundland Haul), but I really think there are much better deodorants. When I was at uni during term time and was having to walk to lectures, it really didn't do it's job. I've tried some of the other Nivea deodorants which worked fine for me, but there was something off about this one. It had to be finished, but I'll be moving onto fresher pastures!


The Body Shop's Love Etc. Perfume
Last but not last, a perfume by The Body Shop. I received this as a gift from my boyfriend, and wasn't disappointed. After reading the reviews on the Body Shop website, they said it smelled a bit like licorice, which had me really worried, seeing as I hate licorice. But it actually smelt quite nice. 

The Body Shop describes it as 'Our irresistible fragrance in a lasting eau de parfum: a heart-stopping fusion of jasmine, vanilla and sandalwood notes.'

I can't smell much vanilla, but the jasmine and sandalwood definitely come through. And maybe a bit of licorice... The size was an added advantage. It lasted a year and a half, and was small enough to throw in a bag or washbag to travel with. Bonus!



So there you have it. If you were able to stick around for the whole thing, congratulations, because it felt like an awfully long post. If there are any quicker methods of doing this type of blog post out there, let me know! 
Thank you for reading my first empties of many to come! x 

No comments:

Post a Comment