Saturday 15 February 2014

Travel Make-Up Bag!

What's In My Make-Up Bag: Travel Edition

Over the last week, we had our 'research week', basically a half-term for uni students to enrich our minds through research... or catching up on sleep. On the research side of things, we had the option to go on a field-trip, where I chose to go to Copenhagen.

When it comes to packing, I usually make a list and throw almost everything in my suitcase, doing my make-up before hand. However, because our flight was really early in the morning, I figured it would be better for my skin if I took the makeup and applied it either on the plane or in the airport when we arrived. I needed products that were easy and quick to apply to achieve a 'face of the day', as well as taking a few other things to wear in the evenings for dinner.

I'm always curious to see what things people take away with them, and when I travel I like to take the small products, but also get value for money out of them, instead of paying more just for a travel size version. So without further a-do, here is my condensed make-up selection for travel!

Step 1: Prime & Prepare



First, I have my lip balm, the Skittles Lip Smacker in Banana Berry. To be honest, it isn't the best tasting or smelling lip balm, but it works and I'm trying to use it up! 

Then, to prime my face, I took Smashbox's Photo Finish Primer. This is a sample size I picked up at a Boots when they had a free foundation sample promotion (look around the shops with Smashbox counters for promotional posters!), and the lady was kind enough to give me and a friend sample primers too. I don't think I would purchase it, simply because of the price of a full-sized one, but it creates a smooth film over my face and creates a barrier between my skin and the make-up, so it does the job! Plus it's the perfect size to take away.


Step 2: Coverage


                        

Instead of a heavy foundation, I took a B.B. Cream, specifically the Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector, the first one to spark the 'drug-store B.B. craze'. This again is another product I am trying to use up, considering I've had it for quite a while. Even though the colour is #2:Light, I still feel it is a bit too dark for my skin tone, which I find strange considering I don't have the palest skin. Another bug with this product is the texture. It is quite thick, not what I would expect of a light B.B. cream. 

For any extra coverage, I took Collection's Lasting Perfection Concealer. It's a great multi-coverage product, and I use it on my eyes and for any redness or spots. It is my first tube of this, and even though it is raved about, I still feel I can do better regarding coverage for under the eyes. That said, it works great with redness and spots, and I would continue to use it. 


                   
Step 3: Eyes


I recently bought Maybelline's 24 Hour Colour Tattoo in 'On and On Bronze', and have been trying to use it with different combinations of colours, finding it a very versatile product. It can be very understated with a beige neutral eye shadow packed on top, or more dramatic blended out with a dark brown. One problem I found with this was the creasing, however I'm not sure whether that was because I used too much product in one go, because it had never happened before. 

To pair with this I took the BeautyUK eye shadow pallet in #4. It includes some great neutrals, and also a black which I use for lining my eyes before applying liquid liner on top (if I'm in the mood for it). I don't use the green tones that much, because I have hazely green eyes, and find that my eyes blend in with my eye shadow when I wear it... not really the look I want!





 For liquid liner, I use Rimmel's Exaggerate 100% Black Eye Liner. This is the first ever liquid liner I bought, because I found that pencil liners weren't working well for me. The first time I tried this liner, I found it smudging everywhere and stinging my eye area. Over all, I wasn't impressed. However, more recently, I have been using it more, and found it working for me using a liner brush with shadow underneath first. I still haven't mastered it, but I look in the mirror half way through a day of wear and I'm surprised it still looks like it did when I first applied it!


 The current mascara I have on the go is the Mega Plush Volum' Express from Maybelline. I bought this because I was the next one released after their Rocket mascara, and hearing how good the Rocket was, I thought they might have uped their game. It is more volumizing that other mascaras I have tried, but the brush shape may be doing a lot of this work! I also finding it smudging under my eyes, and there being no water proof formula, I cannot find a solution to this. That said, I am yet to try the Rocket, so I know what my next purchase will be when this one runs out!


Step 4: Final Touches


 To add some colour to my cheeks I have the Revlon Photoready blush in Flushed Rougissant #002. The colour looks a bit scary when you pick it up in the shop, but i thought I'd try something different. It's a really great colour for spring and though it isn't the most natural it's a really flattering colour for those with fair skin tones! I use a standard blush brush to apply it, and have found when using my fingers I apply way too much, getting the Barbie doll spray-on-colour look. I also use it to add some colour to my lips, and all in all another great multi-purpose product.  

For powder I chose to take Sephora's Mattifying Foundation Powder in Fair. The product is great, but I also took it because of the mirror inside, therefore meaning I didn't have to take another mirror in my make-up bag! I enjoy the product so much, I wanted to buy another when I was in Copenhagen, however I couldn't find the same product in the Sephora we went into. Therefore I have resorted to stretching this product as far as it will go, because it will be a long time before I have the opportunity to go abroad and find another Sephora! 


Last but not least, I have the Boot's Natural Collection clear lip gloss, which I either use on its own, or on top of the Revlon Blush. By keeping the colour simple, I can use it with more looks.


Application: Brushes


From left to right:

Foundation brush
Marks & Spencers 
Used to apply the Sephora Mattifying Foundation Powder

Blush brush
Marks & Spencers
Used with the Revlon Photoready Blush

Real Techniques Expert Face Brush
Used with my Garnier B.B. Cream

Real Techniques Base Shadow Brush
Used to blend colours into the crease 

Real Techniques Eyeliner Brush
Used with a black shadow before applying liquid liner

Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush
Used to place colour over the lid

Real Techniques Accent Brush
Used to place colours in the crease before blending, 
or used with white shadow for highlighting



After that extremely detailed post, I hope this will help someone out there gather the make-up basics on a low budget. Or if you are going on holiday, maybe it could help you organize your stash and decide what to take. After all, half term is upon us.

Happy Saturday, whether the sun is shining or the rain is pouring and winds blowing!   

No comments:

Post a Comment